Job ID: 1006
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Position reports to: Crew Manager
This position is an entry level position with Deep Fiber Solutions. Working carefully with the Technician II, the incumbent is responsible to assist in upgrading a coaxial cable network to fiber-optic by extracting the core of coaxial cables, preparing the cables for fiber-optic cable installation and then installing the fiber.
- Executes network upgrades consistent with the DFS playbook and at the direction of the Technician II, III or Crew Manager.
- Manages work to prevent service outages.
- Assists the Technician II, III or Crew Manager in ensuring effective coordination of span qualification, pot holing, coax core extraction and fiber installation with splicing activities to achieve maximum crew production of upgraded network.
- Supports the Technician II, III or Crew Manager in providing span qualification, coax extraction and fiber installation production reporting for accurate billing, inventory management and productivity measures.
- Recycles extracted polyethylene.
- Under Technician II, III or Crew Manager supervision, operates the optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) to pinpoint underground splices, then pot holes same and prepares for fiber splicing.
- Prepares the jobsite for high production by promptly unloading OTDR, cable reel, fiber installation equipment and bench (and other equipment at the direction of the Technician II) from vehicles.
- At the direction of the Technician II, III or Crew Manager prepares a jump-out of appropriate length to provide temporary service to customers.
- Maintains a high level of customer relations to enhance the DFS and cable operator brands.
- Recommends improvements to DFS methods and procedures, standards and documentation, tools and operational support systems to produce maximum effectiveness/efficiency and a quality customer experience.
- Promotes safety awareness, and adherence to the DFS Safety and Loss Control Program in order to provide a work environment free from injury.
- Consults with the Crew Manager and Technician III to define key performance indicators and service levels, create a process framework and initiate improvement activities to achieve optimum production.
- With training, may be required to assume Technician II duties in her/his absence.
- Maintains and safeguards DFS vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience with hybrid fiber-coax network maintenance or construction or customer installations. Alternatively, equivalent military experience in a telecommunications specialty.
- Able to perform assignments including span qualification, pot holing, preparing the jobsite for the day’s work and under supervision, operate fiber installation equipment.
- Familiarity with fusion splicing equipment, methods and measurements.
- Operating knowledge of optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) and fiber installation equipment.
- Familiarity with HFC networks, optical design and current fiber optic network designs is a plus.
- Ability to use tools to complete projects in a successful and timely manner.
- Ability to communicate observations, findings and results.
- Goal oriented, self-starter.
- An acute interest in learning Technician II skills.
- Ability to communicate and make suggestions on how to overcome problems.
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism and integrity in interactions with all levels of the organization, cable operator management and homeowners/customers.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- An unblemished driving record and a current driver’s license.
- Telecom/Cable industry experience required.
- A high school diploma or GED.
Deep Fiber Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employercandidates@deepfibersolutions.com