Job ID: 1005
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Position reports to: Crew Manager
This position is responsible for upgrading a coaxial cable network to fiber-optic by extracting the core of coaxial cables, preparing the cables for fiber-optic cable installation and then installing the fiber. The incumbent carefully coordinates with the Technician III to optimize network upgrade production.
- Executes network upgrades consistent with the DFS playbook and at the direction of the Crew Manager.
- Manages work to prevent service outages.
- Ensures effective coordination of span qualification, pot holing, coax core extraction and fiber installation with splicing activities to achieve maximum crew production of upgraded network.
- Provides span qualification, coax extraction and fiber installation production reporting for accurate billing, inventory management and productivity measures.
- Assures extracted polyethylene is recycled.
- Works closely with and trains the Technician I crew member to achieve greater production.
- Assures sufficient fiber-optic cable is available for assigned projects.
- Maintains a high level of customer relations to enhance the DFS and cable operator brands.
- Recommends improvements to DFS methods and procedures, standards and documentation, tools and operational support systems to produce maximum effectiveness/efficiency and a quality customer experience.
- Promotes safety awareness, and adherence to the DFS Safety and Loss Control Program in order to provide a work environment free from injury.
- Consults with the Crew Manager and Technician III to define key performance indicators and service levels, create a process framework and initiate improvement activities to achieve optimum production.
- Maintains and safeguards DFS vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years of technical experience with hybrid fiber-coax network maintenance and/or construction.
- Fiber-optic splicing experience in construction or fiber-optic network operations is a plus.
- Able to perform Tech I assignments, including span qualification and pot holing.
- Working knowledge of fusion splicing equipment, methods and measurements.
- Operating knowledge of optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) and fiber installation equipment.
- Familiarity with HFC networks, optical design and current fiber-optic network technologies and associated designs.
- Ability to utilize people, project tools and technologies to complete projects in a successful and timely manner.
- Ability to communicate observations, findings and results and address open issues and resolve problems.
- Goal oriented, self-starter capable of leading by example.
- A pride in detailed reporting to support accurate billing, inventory requirements and team productivity.
- Ability to communicate, solve problems, coach and train others.
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism and integrity in interactions with all levels of the organization, cable operator management and homeowners/customers.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- An unblemished driving record and a current driver’s license.
- Telecom/Cable industry experience required.
- A high school diploma or GED.
Deep Fiber Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employercandidates@deepfibersolutions.com